Friday, February 3, 2012

Glass Bottles and Pinterest

I am addicted to Pinterest. Everyone and their mother is addicted. I know my mother has a Pinterest account. Where else can you go to find cute photos, inspirational/sarcastic quotes, decorating ideas, and craft projects? Heels that look like lion paws...Halloween mummy hot dogs...photos of animals with crazy captions...random tidbits of information like how to get rid of ants organically....mustaches, best friend references, beach photos, nail polish, motivational weight loss messages. You know what I'm talking about, you're addicted too!

There was one craft project I wanted to try. Cutting a bottle using string and nail polish remover. There have been multiple posts about this. There are a couple that say you only need the string and nail polish remover, but there are others that say you need a glass cutter to score the bottle first.

I wondered why there were different directions, and I figured it out.

The string is already soaked in nail polish, so we lit it on fire.

Just think of me as the crazy cat lady. These are my two babies and they hang out with us when we're in the backyard. Marley really enjoys rolling in the dirt.

After I let the nail polish remover burn for about 20 seconds, I put the bottle in the water.


Here's what happened. The string and nail polish remover alone won't cut through that bottle with the thick glass, but it broke the thinner wine bottle. So I sanded the top and now I have a little candle holder or whatever I want to do with it. Although now that I've actually tried it and demonstrated to myself that it does work, I've kind of lost interest in it. I don't really know what to do with the seven other wine bottles I have. Probably leave them in the garage until J says something about it. Yep, that sounds like a good plan.

And I didn't cut myself with the glass bottle. Nope, I cut myself with my razor when I was scraping off the back label, because I am an idiot and put my thumb in the wrong place.

1 comment: