Sunday, July 4, 2010

How to fix gaps in your wood floor

We've been in our home a little over a year now. And we still had yet to take care of the gaps in the hallway. Whoever installed the wood floor must not have glued the pieces together, and because of the high traffic in the hallway, the boards were separating. Because in the southwest, the wood floors are floating instead of glued down like they are back east (something to do with different climates and humidity).


I had 12 gaps in the hallway, and for some reason they didn't bother me too much at first, but I decided recently that they were going to go. So we made our trip to Lowe's, got our stuff, and the Brains and the Brawn tackled the hallway.

We had to take the baseboard off, and in order to do that you need to cut off the caulking and paint. This was probably the hardest part of the job.
You have to be really careful not to damage your drywall.

Once we had the baseboard off, we glued the pieces, and using our little tool we purchased for $7 from Lowes and our mallet, we tapped the boards into place.


Ta daaaaaaa! Let's hope it stays put.

2 comments:

  1. Good job. I had no clue how you fixed gaps in wood flooring. Now, I am much more knowledgeable, but might call you two experts. Which one of you is brains, and which one is brawn, btw?

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I'm totally impressed-not sure if I could do that by myself : )

    ReplyDelete