Wednesday, February 8, 2012

My Most Prized Possession

I'm the type of person that likes to be prepared. A worst-case scenario type. The fact that I work in insurance really doesn't help my borderline paranoia.

I've taken a video of my house and Joseph saved it onto his drop-box (an external source that we can access from any computer). That way, if our house was broken into and his computer and external hard drive stolen (Heaven forbid) we have a record and proof of the items in our home.

J and I have our will drawn up...we just need to get it notarized. It's been on my to-do list for awhile now. But it's going to happen.

We both carry life insurance. We have an emergency fund. We bought less house than we could have because you just never know what's going to happen and I didn't want a large house payment.

I drive carefully because I am fully aware that if anyone hits my truck and totals it, I will probably get $2,000 for it. And you cannot purchase an awesome, reliable, non-gas-guzzling truck for that amount.

So it's natural that I've thought about what I would save from my home if it were to catch fire. My nice camera? Nah, that could be replaced. My laptop? Also replaceable. As I thought about the things I own that can be replaced, I realized that I had one item I could not replace and that I really cherish.

J is under strict instruction to make sure it gets out if the house is ever on fire. Statistically, I know I really don't have to worry about it, but it's interesting to think about what I cherish most.

It's my blanket my mom made for me.
The back is purple corduroy (I love purple AND corduroy) and the front is a "rag blanket" of different flannel squares. It's long enough that it covers me from chin to toes. It comforts me when I'm sick. J and I eat dinner in front of the TV on the couch, and he teases me a little because I just can't sit down until my blanket is touching me. Plus I'm usually freezing, so it's just perfect.

Nothing makes you feel loved like a good homemade blanket.

2 comments:

  1. I love it! Your mom is actually the one who made my 'baby blanket' and I HAD to sleep with it until I was about 14 and it was in shreds! I remember when my mom made me put it away because it was so disgusting. I was devastated. She does have the magic blanket touch I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that blanket! I was so excited to find a tutorial on Pinterest because I've wanted on since I fist saw yours. I will make one one of these days. I also love how prepared and organized you are. You'll have to let me know how you guys saved your information to where it can be accessed from anywhere. I was just thinking of this the other day. I don't have a ton of valuables, but I pay for renters insurance and would like to be able to tell them exactly what I lost...if anything ever happened that is.

    ReplyDelete