Saturday, February 11, 2012

Welcome to My Life

Joseph and I had Friday off. I originally had it as just a random, mental-health day that I may or may not have taken. But then I had to schedule Marley-cat a teeth cleaning and J decided to take it too.

It turned into a major errand-running and project weekend.

We got up at 6:40 to drop Marley off at the vet. We had an appointment at 9:00 to pick up our new desk. We unloaded the desk then ran over to Singh Farms to get compost, and it took ten wheelbarrow loads to get it out of my truck (which still needs to be washed). We started painting the office, then tried to move the new desk into the office. And ran into a problem.

The monstrous desk was too big to maneuver through the narrow doorway, and with our hallway, we couldn't twist it at all.

Let me sidetrack and tell you a little bit about the office. Our next big project was going to be the bathrooms. Well, that project got pushed back. J has a perfectly good computer, but he has very high demands, and because of all the programs he opens, it runs pretty slow. He hasn't complained, but the few times I've used his computer it drives me crazy (it should take no longer than TWO seconds for me to be able to click click click or it just gets irritating). So I told him we could use part of my bonus for a new computer. He is going to get one of those iMacs with the built-in monitor. Because he already has a monitor, he's going to have a double-monitor. Which means he needs a new desk. And as we were talking about the desk, he decided it would be a good idea to paint. And while we're at it, he thinks shelves would be very nice.

So we have been working on the office.

Now let me tell you about the desk. J decided he needed a very large table-like desk. He wanted to have it positioned in a feng-shui manner, so that his back wasn't to the wall. So it couldn't have a hutch, and it needed to be large enough to fit two very large monitors. He showed me an ugly desk for $200 that was basically a box. I told him I wouldn't pay $50 to have that in my house. The Craigslist search was long and took a few days, but we finally found a desk we could agree on. It's always a compromise - I like more of an antique look and he likes modern, straight lines.

J emailed the lady and she emailed him right back. He then asked if she was willing to negotiate on price. There was no return email. He then emailed again. Nothing. I then emailed the lady (having changed my last name, just indicating that I was interested in the Craigslist desk) and asked for her phone number. She emailed back, and I got a phone number! Left her two messages and nothing. I was really irritated. Who posts their stuff on Craigslist if they don't want to sell it? I waited a reasonable amount of time and then sent an email indicating I would be looking for another desk (a bluff, I really needed this desk). She finally responded, and we were able to pick up the desk.

And then the stupid thing wouldn't fit into the office! Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!!!

But we had run out of time. We had to shower and meet the Svancara's for a night of fun, so I tried very hard not to fret about it. I did however, measure the window, and tell J that we could always get it through there.

I don't think he thought I was serious.

When we got home after a very much needed night of fun and relaxation (thank you Katelyn and Brian!), we went to bed, and were discussing the next day and what we would do about the desk. J wanted to take the legs off. I knew it would ruin the desk to take the legs off, but I knew it wasn't going to get through the door in one piece. He didn't think getting it through the window would work. I told him it would.


My Saturday morning started out like that. We then finished painting, ran to Lowe's for gardening stuff, dropped off J's car to get the oil changed, ran to JoAnn's for fabric for one of my projects (post coming soon), ran to TJ Maxx for a birthday present, got J's car back, he then drove to Home Depot for additional gardening stuff that wasn't at Lowe's, I dropped off J's pants to be hemmed, checked the PO Box, put everything back in the office and now we need to go grocery shopping.

I am so tired.

And there is no "finished" shot of the office yet because it is pretty much in shambles. We at least got everything back in the office, but now it all needs to be organized.

No comments:

Post a Comment