Sunday, October 25, 2009

More Home Improvement

Joseph and I did some home improvement this weekend.

We went to Lowe's and got two new fans. There is a lamp there that I have had my eye one for awhile, and there was a display on sale for $20 less, so I got my beautiful lamp. Joseph is modeling the lamp shade here. :)

Here is one of the old fans; we have two of these in our house and they are ugly. Plus, neither one had lights. We could have added light kits, but I didn't like the fans to begin with.

I put the first part of this fan together to be hung up. Joseph and I learned the hard way that if you drop a screw, it can fall into those little holes. We found that out when we put up Jennifer's fan. (Don't worry Jennifer, I was able to get the screw out...Almost got my finger stuck but it turned out alright.) Joseph came up with the idea to put cling-wrap on the fan, shown here.

Here is the finished product. Isn't it sooo much better?


Joseph installing the new switch, so we can control the light dimming and speed of the fan from the wall.

We had a bit of trouble with the first one...I have come to expect some sort of snag or another as we install something new. On the first fan, the plastic clip for the light kit was slightly warped. Joseph was having a really hard time getting it to connect. He was getting tired, so I gave it a try. I was struggling with it too, but in looking at it, I figured if I could get the corner in first and then stretch it out, the other little pieces would slid into place. Joseph was hovering near the foot of my ladder, saying, "I don't think you're going to get it. Let me try, you're probably tired. It's too warped to fit properly." I said, as nicely as I could, "Joseph! Could you please think positively!" He smiled and said, "You're right, I'm sorry. You will get it in."

Two seconds later the plastic clips snapped together.

The second fan went much more smoothly, and we finished it in half the time that it took us for the first.

Now, we just need to switch out the lighting in the kitchen, living room, and outside....

And I just want to take a second to express appreciation for Joseph. I had to work this Saturday, and we had friends coming over for dinner after I got off work, so I asked him to clean the house and also to fix our bedroom door.

Our bedroom door hinge is not screwed in tightly enough, and the door sags down so that you can't close it properly. We screwed the screw in tighter, thinking that was the problem, but it came back out again; the hole is too large for the screw. It has been driving me nuts since we moved in. Joseph fixed that while I was at work. He also cleaned the entire house, went grocery shopping, and made dinner.

I got such a sweetie nerd-boy Handyman. :)

I would like to add, that I don't usually have a honey-do list for Joseph, because we do it together. I think we are a good team.

4 comments: