Thursday, October 31, 2013

Crocheted Costumes

I love to sit in front of the TV and crochet.

I've been talking about going to a gym, but who has time when I have projects?

Some past projects:

Baby shower gifts for Nicki

Baby Bunny Photo Prop

Rug out of Sheets

Baby Blankets

My friend Asmahan had a baby recently and she asked if I could make a candy corn costume she saw on pinterest. It was just a cocoon and a hat, not hard at all.


She has the cutest little baby.



The candy corn was a pretty easy project, and I'm glad Asmahan liked it (the sweetie pie got me a gift card to a restaurant, I really appreciated that). 

My second project was just for me. I was so excited to find a free pattern for a mermaid tail. I am crazy about mermaids. They must be gaining popularity because I have found three different free patterns now. I was really excited when I found the third pattern, because it used a special stitch that made it look like scales.

The pattern can be found here. I started the project and sat down to watch some TV. I usually re-watch Friends or the BBC Pride and Prejudice (it's eight hours long) because I am looking at my project the majority of the time and miss parts. I am currently watching Xena. It's incredible cheesy but we used to watch it with my Dad when we were kids, and it's good crochet TV because I don't mind missing parts. It's a lot of fighting scenes where she is flying through the air and kicking butt.

So I sat through three Xena episodes which meant I had spent two hours on this project when I realized....the maker of the pattern was using UK abbreviations. Which are dumb. A DC in UK means single crochet, but in the US it means double crochet. A TR in UK means double crochet, but but in the US it means triple crochet. (Which one makes more sense to you?) So I was making it too big but I didn't figure it out until I had done the entire top band and gotten to the scales.



So I pulled it apart, pouted a bit, and started again.

Then I got to the bottom fins.


Yeah, that's not right at all. The stinker switched to US abbreviations. I thought her DC meant to single crochet, but it really means DC which means it was TOO SMALL. I briefly considered just leaving it, but it looks like a seal. I had to take a little break from the project at this point.


But once it was finished it was GLORIOUS. I love it. I don't even have a baby to put in it but I love it.

I do, however, have friends with babies.


This is Nicki's little Harper. She is the perfect mermaid. Nicki said she was kicking her legs and flapping the fin and it was adorable.




I handed my phone to J and he swiped to look at the other pictures and was surprised to find this picture:


His reaction was very comical. I had to explain that when I texted Nicki to ask if she wouldn't mind putting her little girl in my mermaid tail, Nicki texted me back with this picture. He looks great too.

And I want one of those tails. I wonder if you can swim in it.

2 comments:

  1. Love the little mermaid tail. Glad you fixed it--It is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pictures of little Harper. What a cutie! A great model for your mermaid project.

    ReplyDelete