Sunday, November 3, 2013

Crocheted Elephant and Giraffe Toys

Deni is having a little baby girl. 

Deni LOVES elephants. So I looked high and low for an elephant pattern. I found one I liked here.

So I made Deni a blanket, and with the leftover yarn made her a purple elephant...because she also loves purple.


Then I went a little crazy and made her a few other things...


It's a December baby, so what better than a little candy cane elf hat?



I made a version of this for my sister Megan - I made her a bunny (found here). I asked Deni if she prefers bunnies or bears and she told me bears.


I also made her baby booties and a little elephant blanket my Mom helped me sew.

She loved it. There was an appropriate amount of enthusiasm and appreciation expressed. All I ask is to see the little baby dressed up in the items, so I am looking forward to the little one arriving. I know she will be adorable. And if she's not...well...Deni and I can't be friends anymore.

Joseph's brother Robert's wife Cami (did you follow that?) is pregnant as well. She was actually due on Wednesday, which was four days ago. They're not finding out if it's a boy or girl - which is driving me crazy - so that was a little tricky for the baby shower. Cami is mad about giraffes that way Deni is mad about elephants, so I decided to try to modify the pattern and see what I could do.


When I was first making the giraffe, I started with the head and neck (picture it without the ears, horns, or the rest of its body)....Joseph told me it looked like a penis. Highly inappropriate for a children's toy.



Luckily, when it was finished, I don't think it resembled that anymore...hopefully...


I also made her a blanket and then just gave her cash. It's not as fun shopping for a no gender yet baby. I also brought an extra gift to the shower - one from my Mom. Who has never met Cami but just wanted to buy her some things to help with the baby. And she made an adorable giraffe blanket. I'm rather mad at myself for not thinking to take a photo before I gave it to her....Hopefully Cami will send me one after the baby is here.

If any crocheter is interested in the giraffe pattern, just let me know, I'd be happy to share. I wrote it down but I probably need to make sure it makes sense to another normal person.

When Katelyn and Brian came over to hang out, we put Lily to bed. She asked to sleep with Deni's elephant. She asked me if I made it. When I said yes, she informed me that I needed to make her one, but it needed to be a horse with a horn.

So next on my to do list is to make a unicorn for one of my favorite little girls. I'll probably keep it until Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. Deidre, when I have a baby I want all of those gifts you made Deni...except, I love the bunny in previous posts. The EARS! You are so talented!!!

    ReplyDelete