Sunday, November 24, 2013

Joseph Punched Holes in my Walls

Awhile back (it's probably been at least two years) Joseph stomped around in the attic and ran wires through the walls so that he would have an internet wire in the den by the TV and in the guest bedroom (now Jacob's bedroom) where we also had a TV. He wanted to be able to wire internet for his video game systems; apparently it's faster than wireless.

The things my nerd boy will do for gaming systems.

Well, he didn't put either of the wires in a box - he just punched a hole in the wall and the wire stuck out. It didn't really bug me until two things happened.
1) The car hit our house and when the guys came and painted and tore out the flooring, the TV stand was moved and I could see the hole.
2) Jacob re-arranged his room and moved the dresser the TV had been sitting on and revealed the hole in his room. Also, an electrical outlet we had missed when we replaced them all in the house (post found here).

Since it wasn't out of sight and out of mind, it started to bug me.

I told Joseph he was in charge of fixing it. But when nothing happened I decided to take matters into my own hands.

I watched a tutorial on planitdiy.com and realized I wouldn't have to repair any drywall, they sell "old work" electrical boxes. So I made a trip to Lowe's and got to work.


Here's the hole in the den. I still don't have any flooring.



Here's the hole in Jacob's room.



My only suggestion to anyone trying to do this is to screw into that "wing" part (it's what holds the box up against the drywall) because the plastic isn't threaded and it helps loosen it up. You just have to be careful not to screw into it too far because then you can't lay it down, which you have to do to get the box into the wall.



I put in the boxes but J was in charge of splitting the wiring.


Here's the replaced outlet.

It wasn't a completely smooth project. While the boxes went in easily, it was actually the outlet that gave me problems. Here's what I posted on Facebook:

The good news is that I got some electrical work done in Jacob's room that has been on my to-do list. The bad news is that when I killed the power, Joseph's computer started beeping. I thought it would just turn off but he informed me it was updating something, and if it died in the middle of updating something it would crash his computer and he would have to re-install something and he was on the verge of being mad at me. The good news is that Jacob suggested running a power cord to a section of the house that still had power and that was a successful work-around. The bad news is that while I was running in and out turning off and on the electricity, Micah got loose. The good news is that someone found him and our little dog is back safe at home.

Aaaaaaand that was pretty successful for a house project in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment