Monday, September 3, 2012

Table and Cupcake Stand

I bought this table from a friend who was moving for $30. The top needs some work. But I like the curved legs and I'm a sucker for antiques.

It sat in my garage for long enough.



It's a drop leaf, "gate leg" table that can open up to be a larger size. So it stores nicely.

The day I was sanding the headboard I was also sanding this table. The top sanded nicely but the bottom was in really great shape, and the lacquer did not want to come off. Later I bought some Klean Strip Sander Deglosser, which is a liquid sander, and rubbed it on the bottom. I decided I was going to do things right and primer the table (I usually skip that part because I'm impatient) so let's hope the paint sticks.

But first I ran into a problem. I folded the table down to bring it inside, and it broke. I'd always had a problem wrestling that side of the table down when I would adjust it, so I knew that piece was loose. It was nice that it finally broke, because now I could go about fixing it.


So I went to the hardware store, got some wooden dowels, drilled out the old dowels, and re-attached it.


That is J's hand, just so you know. I do not have man hands. And I really appreciate him, he always helps with my projects.


You can see how the gate leg slides in and out. They just don't make tables like this anymore. I am in love.

I struggled with the decision of staining vs. painting. I felt like I should probably just stain the top and restore it to its old beauty. But I really, really wanted to paint it red.

I decided I was going to do what I wanted to do. It's my table dangit.


So when painting, there are a few things to note. Protective gear is important. But don't burp when you have that face mask on. It's nasty. And wear your husband's shoes so that yours don't get paint on your own.


That is the cupcake stand I glued together. E6000 is the glue to use. It's a candle stick and a plate. Oh yeah.

Here is the finished cupcake stand. I'm pretty happy with it.


I don't have a finished shot of my table yet. It's not completely done; there are small crevices to touch up. And now I can't decide if it needs a glaze to tone down the brightness. But there's no way the glaze is happening before the baby shower, so you should see it in the baby shower post, after next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment