Sunday, August 26, 2012

Weekend Projects

I have a couple projects that have been sitting in the garage. Waiting patiently for their turn.

In my defense, I am not the one with the unfinished piano. That would be J.

Do you remember the headboard from 2010 (blog can be found here)?

There's a table that I have been meaning to stain, paint, or sell just to get rid of it. I bought it from a friend for $30, and it's an antique drop leaf table.

My trunk that I painted yellow and decided I didn't like the yellow (found here) hasn't been sitting in my garage, but it has been on The List for a make over.

And then I was at Goodwill. Looking for candle sticks and plates to glue together to make cake/cupcake stands (it's all the rage on pinterest right now). And I found an ottoman for $10. It was monstrously large. And it was $10 because it was really beat up. The fake leather was coming apart and the bottom had very scratched up paint. But I knew that once we painted it and got new fabric on it, it would be glorious. The foam inside it was worth the $10 alone. Do you know how expensive foam is??? I knew I didn't have anywhere in my house for this ottoman. But I also knew it was too good of a deal to pass up. So I called Kristi and asked if she could use a large ottoman and explained to her how it would be a great project. Kristi agreed, and I came home and talked J out of being mad.

I decided I was going to finish these projects. Because I've been meaning to do something about my kitchen and bathrooms and darnit, I am going to clean out my garage.

So this is what my kitchen/dining area has looked like since last weekend. Except I took the photo AFTER painting the trunk and headboard, but you get the picture. You can see my sad little table, and you can barely see part of the ottoman (Kristi took the bottom and will be painting it. J and I will be re-upholstering the top.)




This trunk looks so much better blue. I also added a little handle on the outside so it is easier to open and a lid support that locks open on the inside. I was finding that my little toy chest was a danger to small children because they would pull the lid down on themselves. Well, no more! Not only is Auntie Deidre's house fun, but it is also safe! Assuming you have enough coordination so that you don't injure yourself on the trampoline...


Here's the story with the headboard. It was going in Matt's room (Kristi's boy). Matt decided he didn't want it. It sat in my garage for awhile, in a very sad state. I finally decided I was just going to paint it and sell it on Craigslist. Last weekend I was sanding it, when I got a call from Kristi. Mom wanted the headboard. I told her I was just sanding it, it was strange that she was now calling me. I was going to paint it red. Mom didn't want the headboard if it was going to be red. Well, how about blue? Mom likes the blue. The headboard is now out of my garage and in my mother's house and it is blue. One project down. Yes!

So if you've read any of my projects, you know J and I both hate painting. Why do I do this to myself? We finally, FINALLY, bought a paint sprayer. It is my favorite new thing.


I painted my trunk and the headboard in under an hour. More time was spent on the prep work and cleaning up than on the actual painting.

No, I'm not going to paint your project for you. Don't get any ideas. I'll let you borrow my paint gun as long as you clean it. And treat it with the loving respect it deserves.

Coming up will be the table, the ottoman, and then maybe the kitchen and/or bathroom. That last project isn't solidly planned just yet. Who knows, with the paint gun we may just get around to the piano.

I am also hosting my sister Shanna's baby shower in two weeks. I think my table painted red will be precious, and Kristi is letting me borrow the ottoman for extra seating. Nothing like a good deadline.

3 comments:

  1. I used to be motivated like you are. I wonder where it went? Nice paint gun. Glad you like it. Also, too lazy to scroll back up to etching cream post, but very lovely, thoughtful gift, especially for a Mormon. You know how much food comes and goes helping out with funerals, weddings, new babies, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only took me 25 times to prove I wasn't a robot. I couldn't read that crappy anti-robot font worth a crap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok now I am cracking up because apparently it runs in the family beginning comment challenged as I commented in another post! My favorite pic is you smooching the paint gun. That is when you know you are a true DIY-er!

    ReplyDelete