Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Labor Day and a $26 Ottoman

Here is the ottoman I found at Goodwill for $10. You can tell that the faux leather is completely cracked and the bottom is pretty scratched up. But I saw the potential.



Kristi and I took it apart and got to work.



She took the bottom piece and painted it while I took the top piece and re-upholstered it. Then we got together on the glorious holiday that is Labor Day and finished it.

But first we had some baby shower favors to make.


I am so glad these two helped me. This project would have sucked otherwise.


It was Kristi's idea to tie the bags with little rubber bands (the tiny hair bands) and add the cute little babies on the front. She is a creative genius.


I made that up myself, hehe. Pretty proud of that. Those are bath salts, in case you can't tell.


In order to do the buttons, we had to buy a wicked long upholstery needle.


There were only six buttons but I am pretty sure it took an hour. You don't even realize how hard it is to stick the needle back through and get it through the tiny hole in the board. I've done this twice before when making headboards (found here and here) and it's still not easy. At one point my mom and dad both tried to help, and they can vouch for me that it is not as easy as it sounds. I ended up sticking myself and bleeding three different fingers, because you have to feel around and go by touch, and you tell it's finally through when you bleed all over the new fabric.





But it looks fabulous. $10 plus $16 in materials - you can't beat this $26 ottoman.




No comments:

Post a Comment