Sunday, October 16, 2011

How to replace an interior door handle on your truck

I like to fix stuff. I like to see how it works. I want to be a woman who can do things on her own. If something needs to be done, I don't want to have to wait or make a "honey-do" list.

I did this by myself.

Joseph broke the handle. It was comical, because I had to walk around and open the door for him from the outside. So I ordered a new part from Toyota.

I actually forgot the handle was broken until I drove with my friend Deni and she couldn't get out. After making a few joking/creepy references to her being my prisoner, I let her free, and then went to pick up the part from the dealership.

I should have taken photos during the event, but I was holding onto the metal bar making sure it didn't fall into the door frame where I couldn't reach it, so I didn't really think about photos until it was done. But you can see how I destroyed the old handle.

Although it was already cracked in two.

It helps to look at the replacement part to see how the old part needs to be taken apart. There was one screw to take out, and then I looked at the clamps and figured I needed to slide it over to the side.

This part was a little tricky. This is the part that holds onto the metal bar. It's so busted up because once you put the bar in, it really grabs on. I couldn't just slide it out, so I had to destroy it.

Too late, I realized the door handle I got is grey and my interior is blue. Oops. Can't exactly take it back out without destroying it. I've driven in my truck since I changed out the handle, and I can't even tell from the driver's seat, so I've decided it doesn't bug me.

No comments:

Post a Comment