Saturday, February 27, 2010

Doorknobs...totally exciting

Are you tired of my home improvement blogs yet? I don't have a cute little baby to showcase....

The ugly brass doorknobs that came with the house.

Joseph and I always work as a team. For this project, he took the old knob off and I put the new ones on. We worked pretty quickly until I came across one that doesn't align properly; I'm going to have to exchange it at Lowe's. But what is a home project without a snag? Seriously.

The new oil-rubbed bronze knob. It is taking us awhile, but we are slowly switching over from the brass. The fans now match, our bathroom accessories (minus the lighting...we'll get to that eventually), the hall lights, and even the little door-stopper. Oh, and the closet knobs.

We do have an ugly brass light in the kitchen we will get to...eventually.

The doorknobs set us back about $250. We were trying to decide what to do about the hinges. Everyone has told me you can't paint hinges. But I have seen painted hinges; someone is doing it. At our apartment, they were painted. I think I'd rather have the hinges blend in than stand out.

We're pretty exhausted though. It's almost six and we've been going pretty non-stop. We switched out almost all the light switches in the house, and we only have a handful of outlets left. I think our little house looks quite elegant now. :)

And I am very proud of Joseph. We used to joke that I was the brains and he was the brawn, because when we hit a snag I was usually the one figuring out how to get past it. He, however, solved the problem this time. A handsome and handy nerd. What more could you ask for in a man? If you have an outlet that is controlled by a light switch and you need to switch it out, just ask Joseph what to do.

The projects will not be stopping anytime soon. We sat down and wrote a list. I've been told that the projects will never stop. After our list, I believe it.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to come see your fancy house this next weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Love your home improvement blogs! It's totally fun to see a house transform into something all your own. I'm hoping we're not too far off from having a home of our own to work on.... *sigh*

    ReplyDelete