Friday, September 12, 2014

LA Trip

J had a Wordcamp conference this last weekend. I took a couple days off from work and went with him.

One of my favorite parts was watching HGTV in the hotel room. We don't have cable and the shows aren't on Netflix, so when I travel, I take advantage.

As you can see, I got J hooked too. Oh yes.


Now I have someone to bug with my questions. Like how can the people on the show say their budget is $420,000, but then buy a $350,000 house and drop $70,000 in renovations? Do they just have that extra cash? Did they get a loan? They couldn't have obtained a mortgage that large. And how much of the budget is going to stage the home? If I was a homeowner, I would want my money going straight to renovations and just keep my old crappy furniture...but then it wouldn't look at great, and it is TV.

My friend at work told me she has a friend who was on House Hunters. It had really bugged me that they always buy a home. How do they always end up with the home they pick? They're never out-bid. She told me that the house is already bought and paid for. I still love HGTV even though that is CHEATING. I don't like House Hunters anyway, I prefer the renos. 

Anyway.

J took a half day on Friday and we went to the beach. We went to Santa Monica Pier.













While we were there, the ocean decided to change to high tide and came up 20 feet (I'm not even exaggerating). It was interesting, because it came up to the left and right of our stuff, but our stuff didn't get wet. We still snatched it up and fast as we could and retreated. Others were not so lucky.

I kept myself entertained while J was at his conference. To include going shopping and finding some things for my living room re-decoration. It's coming along nicely.

Our last day there, the developers/designers/other nerds met up downtown, so I got to wander around and check things out. The homeless situation was a little disheartening. But the buildings and fountains are beautiful.





When it was time to go home, our phones kept ringing with a flash flood emergency warning. Which was funny, because then we got home to....Phoenix's worst flooding in years.


Have I mentioned my curse with rain? It poured during my sister's baby shower, it rained on J's birthday when I bought him a car detail, and when I was in FL for a business trip, the outside event was closed down because of weather. So I think it's pretty safe to say I dragged the rain with me from CA. Joseph the dirt nerd was besides himself with glee. He probably won't have to water anything for the next year.

It was a great vacation but it's also nice to be home. I appreciate my Mom watching my little fur children. I missed them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment