Thursday, January 10, 2013

Kitchen Drawer

Remember when I fixed the kitchen drawer?

Joseph's family came to visit for Christmas.

Before they came the drawer was attached.

After they left the drawer was not attached.






I'm not pointing fingers (Carissa)....I'm just stating facts.

Although it was a very crappy particle board drawer.

So I found a place online where you can submit your measurements for a new drawer and ordered one. $27! Sheesh.

They wanted an extra $11 to put it together ($38 for a drawer!! no way did I pay that), but all that was needed was a mallet. It has dovetail joints so it went together nice and easy. And it shouldn't be falling apart again. I don't have a picture of that part because I was anxious to put it together. If it was even a hair off, it would be a problem for our drawer slides. I was really happy when the drawer was the same width.


So I took the drawer slides off the old drawer and put then on the new drawer.

And ran into a problem.

The drawer was too tall and wouldn't slide into the cabinet.

Ah, that's where the problem was hiding.

J asked if my measurements that I sent in had been wrong. I told him the problem was that for the height, you could choose either three or four inches. Our old drawer was three and three-quarter inches. I eyeballed it and thought it could make four inches. I didn't want a weird short drawer. I was off by a sixteenth of an inch.

A frigging sixteenth of an inch.


So we got out the saw.



And I no longer have a ghetto kitchen.

2 comments:

  1. Don't tell anyone, but I was really ticked about someone standing on my drawer in my kitchen and bending the metal frame it rolled in--found your grandmother balancing on top of it to put cups on the top shelf. Dad said to get her a little step in the kitchen before she breaks her neck.....or our drawer again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe Grandma was standing on your drawer!!! I agree with Mom my cramps were way better after children.

    ReplyDelete