Thursday, July 5, 2012

Conversations with J

At home, in front of the computer.
Deidre: I found something on Craigslist I want.
J: What is it?
D: This trunk.
J: A trunk?
D: Just remember that you bought poop and dirt today and I am entitled to use money from the house fund too. 
(He bought manure and peat moss for his garden. It was over $50. For dirt and poop.)
J: I'll let you buy that trunk if I can buy another tree.
(He has already bought seven. And has plans for more. I'm not going to have a backyard, I'm going to have a forest.)
D: Deal. (excited) We should high five.
J: (gives a very unenthusiastic high five, grumbles) I would have gotten the tree anyway.

At first I was indignant, but as I reflect on it, it's true. So I got something out of a situation that I wouldn't have...One of my favorite outcomes.

***

In the mall, eating pretzels, chatting away with my love.
D: You neither agreed nor disagreed. I took it for agreement.
J: I did not agree.
D: Let's make a rule going forward that if you don't answer, it is agreement.
J: OK
D: Wait, does this apply for both of us or just you?
J: (gives me a look) Both of us.
D: I move to nullify the rule.
J: (laughs) Alright.
D: This will work to my advantage. It will be ambiguous so I will just do what I want.
J: You would have anyway.

2 comments:

  1. love it! 2 of my favorite people! You guys are hilarious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should go into the law so it your rules are legal. Just sayin'. Also, if you want me, call or email me. I disabled, or whatever it is called my Facebook account.

    ReplyDelete