Sunday, July 8, 2012

More conversations with J

Before I tell you what he said, I have to explain that I have a few coworkers who are very gentlemanly and a few who are not. I have gotten into the habit of telling someone, "Why thank you, you earned some gentlemen points," or, "How rude, you just lost some gentlemen points." We were at lunch with a group of friends, and the subject of gentlemen points came up. J was very displeased to learn that he was pretty far behind a very gentlemanly coworker.


In bed reading, J leans over to the side and farts. Looks very pleased with himself.
J: I leaned away from you.
D: I thought you looked very smug.
J: Do I get gentlemen points?
D: For farting?
J: For leaning away from you!

****

I bought my trunk off Craigslist. The guy I bought it from said he restored trunks. When I got it home I closed the latch and it locked. I called the guy, thinking he must have a key. He told me he does not; when he first started restoring trunks he tried to match up the trunks with keys but couldn’t ever find the right size.

Great.

I tried picking the lock, but it’s not a normal pin and tumbler lock. I tried googling how to do it, but couldn’t find any instructions.

I finally googled “how to pick lock chest” instead of “how to pick lock steamer trunk” and found a YouTube video hosted by a boy. He explained that his x-box controllers had been confiscated by his parents, who were both at work, and locked in a trunk that had locks similar to mine. He then showed how to open the lock using scissors.

Brilliant.

I ran through the house (with scissors in hand), and yelled for J to share in my triumph. As I explained to him about the boy in the video, he smirked and said, "See? Who says you can't learn anything from video games?"

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant child. So cracks me up, and he posted his results. I'd vote for him for President. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete