Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Five Years

Joseph and I just celebrated our five year wedding anniversary.


I feel so old. But I also feel like not much time has passed.

He's my best friend. I can tell him anything and he doesn't judge me...or think I'm being weird.
Sometimes I try to be extra-weird just because that's when he flashes his big dimple-grin and shakes his head, as if to say, "I don't even know what to do with you." As I am running around with a bath towel pretending to be a butterfly.

I appreciate that I can ask him to do something and he will do it. Yes, it's a little frustrating that his "clean" tolerance is a different level than mine, and I will let the dishes sit in the sink to see if he notices and does something about it (he doesn't). But the second I mention them, he is all over it.



I like that when we have fights, he apologizes even when it's not his fault. Because it makes me feel like a big jerk. I still pout a little bit, just because I have a temper. But it makes it easier for me to accept responsibility once I've calmed down. Because, let's face it, I'm usually mad about the dishes in the sink, and that's dumb.

I like to tease him. I will very stealthily lick his neck and then deny deny deny. The only problem is that he will ask me if I just licked his neck when we are cuddling at night, when I honestly did not. He now experiences phantom licks.

He makes me feel loved. He makes me feel adorable.



When we are hanging out after dinner, he will ask me if I need anything. Sometimes it's just because he is going to play a game or work on his blog, and that's his signal that I shouldn't be bugging him (which just makes me want to more). But mostly it's because he is a sweetiepie.

When I need to go to the music store to get a book, he will go with me. Just to keep me company. And when I tell him to back away because there is a guy who flirts with me and makes me feel good, he smiles and gives me some distance.

He loves our two little cat children. So much so that when we were watching my mom's dogs and Marley ran away, he was worried. When she finally showed up, he grabbed her, even though she spotted the dogs and scratched and bit, he held on until he had her in the house. His hand later swelled up with an infection.

He is good humored. He doesn't get offended when people tease him. He doesn't judge other people (trust me, I've tried, but he won't). The only people he's ever been upset with are people that have hurt members of his family.


He is a nerd, but not the awkward, geeky kind - the knowledgeable, useful kind. There is something incredible attractive about a man who can fix your computer. I don't understand what he's talking about with dual-cores, DSS and logic boards, but I like to gaze into his eyes as he says it.

He makes me dinner. He thinks I'm funny. He has initiative, and goes after his dreams.

He has enough confidence to wear a European swimsuit, even though I'm pretty sure Brian was joking.

He values my opinion.

I can't believe I love him more now than when we first got married.


5 comments:

  1. Just wait until you see how much you love him in 30 years. :-) You'll have to trust me on that one, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You both are such amazing people and have an amazing relationship. I love you both and I'm so happy for you! Happy late Anniversary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh so cute!! You guys are awesome! And my husband probably likes Joe almost as much as you do :) Lol jk Happy Anniversary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy happy happy anniversary. You guys are going to be happy for a long time-you're a great match :)I'm so glad you found each other!
    Joe and Bryan have lots in common...nerdy-ness, tolerance of very strange wives (sometimes I act like a monster & jump on him) and apologizing when they are clearly not wrong.
    to the best husbands ever!

    ReplyDelete