Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Sofa Table

I found this sofa table on Pinterest:
http://blog.jennasuedesign.com/2015/06/diy-sofa-table-tutorial/

J and I eat in front of the TV and my little table gets filled with my yarn and supplies when I am working on a project. So I thought an extra table would be a great idea for storage space.

Also, J is getting new speakers for a surround system for Christmas and I didn't want speakers mounted on my wall. He agreed to put them on the table.

So I went to Lowe's and got the wood. I needed a big 2 x 10 x 10 and those things are unwieldy. Two different employees strode over, offering to help, confidence shattered when I politely declined. They hovered for a bit, nervous, watching this crazy woman examine and shift around these large pieces of wood. When I found one that wasn't cracked, warped, or had a weird cut, I put everything back and I didn't drop anything on a toe so it all worked out. Plus my abs were sore for days afterwards so that was interesting.

Jacob helped. And by helped I mean basically did everything for me. Which was nice.


Do you see that piece of wood that is obviously too short? That was an oops. I measured it out, J cut it, put it on the table, and he and Jacob both looked at me in confusion. I burst out laughing. Somehow I got it in my head that it needed to be 46.5 inches long instead of 86.5. I really did not feel like going and buying another piece, even though it was only $10. Jacob was very kind and offered to sand and work on the edge to make sure it matched up nicely.


J and I had to leave to baby-sit for a friend who needed a favor. When we got back after 11 that night, Jacob had finished.


And then when I woke up the next morning, he had completely finished staining it. Jacob is my new favorite. Until someone else does something nice for me.




The only potential issue I didn't think about is that my wood floors really get dusty and there is fur child hair everywhere. With the open design, I think we may be able to see the grossness behind the couch. J thinks we can just reach back there and vacuum. I may get a piece of plywood and nail it closed. We'll wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment