Sunday, August 4, 2013

House Projects: Tub Diverter and a Shelf

It's been awhile since we've done a house project. Joseph's brother Jacob is coming to live with us so I need to get the guest bedroom cleaned out. I have been using that closet for storage and it is packed. Also, during the bathroom remodel I showered in the guest bathroom and found out that the shower pressure sucks because the tub diverter needs to be replaced.

So my weekend started out by going shoe shopping Friday night. I wore my black flats during a painting project and thought to myself, "Hmm, should I change my shoes? Nah, I will be careful." So I needed some new black flats because I got paint on my shoes. I have actually been looking around for awhile now. It was one of those problems where because I needed something specific, I found all sorts of wonderful shoes - brown wedges, pumps, etc - but no black flats. Luckily, my sister Kristi agreed to go shoe shopping with me and she found me not one but TWO pairs of beautiful black flats. And I had a coupon.

Maybe it's time for a new shoe blog.

Saturday morning I went to my friend Abby's apartment to help her clean because they just bought a house. Because she just had twins. Who is going to turn down that woman's plea for help? Before I left, I helped J move everything out of the kitchen/living room and asked him to sweep and said when I came back I would mop. After cleaning so much my arm felt like it was going to fall off, I came home in no mood to mop. But J had done it for me. And cleaned the kitchen. I appreciated it so much I teared up a little.

It was now time to start the house projects. I had already researched online how to remove the tub diverter, and luckily we have the one that just screws off. J had to muscle it off. I love watching that man use his muscles.


Then we went to Lowe's and bought the appropriate tub diverter, and put the new one back on. Works perfectly.


While at Lowe's we bought a big sheet of MDF and had them cut it down using the measurements I had taken earlier.


This is the first project where the cuts weren't spot on. But it was only a hair off - you can see how much we had to shave it down. Which is where our first problem came in - our table saw made a loud noise and something smelled burned. There was something plastic shredded to bits. We took it apart and found out that the plastic guard on the bottom somehow came loose and that was what broke. We removed the guard, put the saw back together, and finished the cuts.


Then we measured and started drilling. And ran into problem two.


This is what we thought was a stud (the stud finder flashed). Nope, J was smart enough to realize it was not a stud. He poked around in the hole and found out it was metal. So I got him a blade from the toolchest and he cut a piece of the drywall out - he didn't think it was a pipe, it was too thin for that. He pulled off our attic door and looked above and found the metal dryer vent.


So we patched it and drilled a new hole a safe distance away and continued on.



The top shelf is the new shelf. The bottom shelf was there when we bought the house. All ready to hold random stuff that we just can't live without.

The only issue now is that the laundry room is the ONLY room in the house we haven't painted. And I painted the shelf with a white we used in other rooms, and the laundry room is a gross yellow-ish color. I mentioned this to J. He informed me he is not painting the laundry room. I looked at him and smiled. He told me to quit looking at him like that or he would have to change his mind. I walked away, then peeked around the corner and smiled at him again. He told me he would think about it. Which translated, means we are painting the laundry room. But definitely later.

The guest bedroom is now mostly cleared out. We are now utilizing the top den shelf (built that here) and also re-arranged other closets.

Sunday nights are usually dinner at my parents' house to see the family, but we took dinner to my friend Abby since she just had her twins. Joseph made the most delicious pulled pork sandwiches and homemade coleslaw. Dessert was brownies with frosting.




This is their older sister Adilyn. She is such a ham. 



Abby informed us we would be helping re-assemble the TV stand. 

I cannot believe how much stuff we got done this weekend. I'm going to pop some popcorn and watch a movie with my Love. Next weekend I will probably be doing nothing. Jacob should be here by then. I'll have J make him do stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment