Sunday, July 31, 2011

My Joseph

Two years ago, Joseph graduated from ASU with his bachelor's in business with an emphasis in finance. He was thinking about being a financial advisor because he likes money. He likes the numbers behind it, but mostly he likes to watch it grow. I leave our budgeting and retirement planning up to him because he knows what he's doing...but more importantly, he LIKES it.

After a lot of thought (and perhaps persuasion from me), he decided to accept a job at my company, but in the bank department. (I am not going to post the name of this company because I know for a fact that it monitors the internet, and I don't particularly want to be on the radar.) It's not really important to the story anyway, so I shall continue.

He accepted the job because it's a great company, and figured he would have his foot in the door to then transfer into a different department and eventually obtain the job he desired. That didn't happen. He started applying to different positions and was either not even offered an interview, or didn't get the job but was not provided with any feedback.

Now, I know my husband is brilliant. He taught himself how to diagnose and fix any sort of computer problem, taught himself code so that he could develop his own website (his financial blog is DebitversusCredit.com) and did well in school without even really trying. He also doesn't have some sort of personality disorder; everyone likes him. (Sometimes I feel like if we were to ever get divorced, my family would keep him instead of me.) So why didn't anyone want to hire him? It really started to bug him, I could tell.

In speaking with a friend/coworker, she advised that the bank at this particular company is a dead end; you can't get out.

Crap.

Enter the extreme guilt I feel for having persuaded my husband to accept this job he really can't stand. He is now stuck in a pit.

Luckily, he is a man of action. He found a contact who put together a professionally-done resume that highlighted his many skills, and started applying to different places. He no longer wants to be a financial advisor; the two years spent in customer service taught him that he wants a job that is not in customer service. An analyst position would suit him nicely. He had quite a few interviews lined up and we practiced different interview questions together.

Then something interesting happened. A company noticed his profile online and was impressed with him. They contacted him on a Thursday, set up a meeting for Tuesday, and offered him a job on the spot.

Finally, someone realizes what a gem this man is. Someone realized how lucky they will be to employ him, and snatched him up before anyone else could.

When he called me to tell me he had accepted the job, I may have teared up a bit. Especially because there was one job he was interviewing for that would have him traveling quite a bit, and I didn't think I would do well without him.

His hours are going to be better (more time with me!) and he's going to be doing something he loves. The only con is that he is taking a pay decrease. It's totally worth it if he's happy. Plus he's confident that he can make it up. I'm not worried; I know he will work hard and prove to them over and over that they made the right decision.

It's a start up company that's only been in existence for 18 months, which makes me nervous. I'm someone who needs stability, and needs to know where my next paycheck is coming from and that my bills will be paid. Joseph on the other hand, has always dreamed on working for a start-up. He has the entreprenurial spirit and would like to one day own his own company. Bit of a risk-taker. I've told him over and over that I just want him to be happy. If this is what it takes, then I will take a deep breath and do some meditation and get over my fears. The company has been wildly successful and has plans to grow. Besides, he re-did the budget and we can live off what I make. We are just going to have to cut back on some things, but it's manageable.

He hasn't started his new job yet, but if you ask him about it he starts grinning from ear to ear.

3 comments:

  1. Good for him and good for you! So many people, me included, freak at the thought of my husband taking a decrease in pay, the thought just freaks me out! I think you are an amazing person and I'm sure Joseph will be making tons more then he ever could have imagine and enjoying himself while he does it! GOod for the both of you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omygoodness YAY!! I'm so happy for the cute man. Bryan wants to be an analyst too. We'll be praying for you guys that everything works out well : )
    p.s. sorry, we didn't get a chance to talk much yesterday. I just read this blog and said-"did you know this??" to Bryan and he was like "duh. old news!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deidre, the crazy hours he has worked--I couldn't have done it as long as he has--It is like he works both all day and most of the night--When I married your dad, he was in the Navy. He had 9 1/2 years in by the time we got out and EVERYONE thought we were idiots for not staying in until he retired. They were not living away from home, away from their husband nine months of every year. Every 3 day weekend we had that first year was such a miracle to us. Money isn't everything. Yes, it is good to have enough to pay the bills and some extra, but it can't be the driving force behind life. Loved this blog. Congrats to Joseph--good luck with the new job, and hope it brings him much happiness, as it will also bring happiness to you. No, we wouldn't keep Joseph and get rid of you in the not going to happen divorce, but we'd just keep you both, as this family needs all the sons it can get. Also, thanks for all of your much needed help...with everything you do for all of us.

    ReplyDelete