Friday, July 15, 2011

Battle on the Zumba Floor

I enjoy Zumba. There is just one problem. The instructor is SO fabulous, that her classes are getting quite crowded. She is moving to a bigger studio next month, so hopefully the problem will be alleviated, but in the meantime I am trying not to kick or smack anyone as I dance around. And I am hoping that my neighbors are attempting to be equally as cautious.

Thursday night was interesting. I had my sister Jennifer to the left, who has rhythm and can keep up with the different dances, and a cute blonde to my right, who seemed to be keeping up fairly well.

It's really annoying when I get someone next to me who doesn't have rhythm. Part of me appreciates that they are still trying and having fun, but the other part of me doesn't want them dancing next to me. They end up going right when you're supposed to go left, and usually smack me a few more times than is acceptable.

About 15 minutes into the class, I have no clue what happened, but a woman weaseled her way next to me on the right side. There wasn't much room between me and blonde girl, so it was quite the squish. I try to be a courteous Zumba-dancer, so I graciously stepped back a bit and tried to made room for her.

I quickly discovered something about this person who weaseled her way to the front, where the seasoned dancers stood (if you don't know what you're doing you stand in the back). She was a VERY enthusiastic dancer. A little too enthusiastic. Weird enthusiastic. I like a good butt-shake as much as the next dancer, but she was rolling her head and writhing around as if she had consumed a bit too much coffee. This is acceptable behavior for an instructor who has to lead the entire class, but not for a fellow dancer. She was acting like she was on stage, performing for an audience. Her hands movements were flutter-y and flighty, and she was in my space. I contemplated this as I danced, and just tried to stay out of her way.

The instructor has a number of moves that she uses throughout different dances. There is one move in particular that is a little complicated, and as a new dancer I found myself standing still, watching her for a few beats, before I was able to pick it up. As the instructor started this particular move, my sister and I launched right into it, having picked it up. The person that weaseled her way to the right of me stood still, watching the instructor.

The person next to me was a NEWBIE. A NEWBIE who was trying to steal my spot, and she was dancing like a weirdo.

It was on.

I starting inching toward the newbie, taking back my rightful spot. During one of the dances we smacked hands. We both gave each other apologetic looks, but I continued my same movements. Instead of trying to stay out of her way, she now had to stay out of my way. Which was difficult with all of her writhing and head shaking. Slowly but surely, she started to move away.

I re-claimed my spot next to my sister, and danced through my victory.

4 comments:

  1. Have you ever considered writing a book? I think you would be quite successful. You're creative and entertaining. I would buy it. Oh and congratulations and your victory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go girl!!! You crack me up. maybe the woman needs to start offering her class in a stadium. She could have sections for the advanced dancers, never-going-to get-it, but keep trying group, and newbies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didnt think I could love you more than I already do but I can ... I love you even more now. Get it girl!!!

    ReplyDelete