Thursday, September 24, 2009

Work at Home

The nation is a little freaked out about the swine flu. My job is taking precautions so that if a large amount of people need to be sent home, at least some of them will be able to work from home. I was given a packet and other various items to install on my computer today to work from home.

I started at 7:30 in the morning, which is my normal time since I work four ten-hour days. I was able to connect the portion to see my desktop and had access to all of the systems I had access to at work. So step one was a success. Step two was connecting the phone.

I got to the LAST STEP, clicked the button, and waited. And waited. And waited. There was a scrolling bar that let me know the computer was thinking, but it wasn't one of those progress bars that tell you it is about done; it was just scrolling non-stop. I called the help desk after about half an hour. The help desk told me to un-install it, re-boot my computer, and re-install the software. I asked him exactly how long am I supposed to wait? He said it could take awhile.

I did as the man said, waited an hour, took my hour lunch, came back, and it was still thinking. I called the help desk again. The second guy I talked to said the first guy was wrong; it is supposed to install in about 30 seconds.

Great.

He asks me to poke around in my computer, checking this and verifying that. He gets about three other people involved. Finally, he tells me, I have been disqualified from the work at home pilot. Go into work.

I got into work about 2:30.

I have a massive headache and I haven't even done anything all day. And I'm feeling a little guilty that I am getting paid for not doing anything.

And the best part is...my coworkers that are working from home are having phone problems. Dropped calls, bad connections....I love modern technology. Making life so much easier.

Although I did enjoy not wearing any shoes for the first part of the day.

Later....

Joseph is home and he thinks he knows what the problem is. My handsome computer nerd. If he can fix it I am going to laugh hysterically.

Side, unrelated note: It is restaurant week in Phoenix!!! Joseph and I made reservations for Ruth's Chris this Friday night and I am excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment