Sunday, October 16, 2016

Kristi's Armoire

My sister Kristi got this armoire for free. The back was damaged (they had a TV in there), it was painted white, and the paint job was cracked. It needed a little work. Because I knew we would need to take off the back and re-attach it, we loaded it into my truck and brought it to my house. I didn't want to try to load up tools and go to Kristi's house just to realize I was missing something.

The before:




We took the top board off. Kristi thought the bottom part was salvageable.


Joseph was a wonderful help and did part of the cutting.


But once the painting started he scrammed.


Before we painted, we bought calk for all the little areas where the previous paint had cracked. When I got my kitchen cabinets painted, the inside where two pieces of wood meets was all calked and I know why now.

The hinges were loose because the holes were too big, and the doors were dragging a bit. So we used toothpicks and wood glue to fill the holes.


We spray painted the hardware black, using spray paint I already had.



When we went to Lowe's to get the backboard, Kristi got the idea of using pegboard. She is planning to hang knobs or something, and then she can hang jewelry back there. Plus it was $10 for the board, cheaper than regular backing.




At this point it went back to Kristi's house, where she continued painting by herself. After a couple weeks, it was ready for the hinges to be re-drilled and attached. J was super helpful with this part, and it looks fabulous.



At first we were pretty excited that this was a $15 project for the backboard, calk, and inside catch (to keep the doors closed). My Mom had given Kristi her chalk paint. But Kristi had to buy extra paint and wax, so it drove it up to about $70. Overall, I think we both thought it was a pretty good deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment