Monday, January 5, 2015

Mickey / Minnie Mouse Crochet Hat

I found a crochet pattern for a Mickey/Minnie Mouse hat for a baby. I have a friend who is mad about  those mice, and is expecting a baby, so I thought I'd whip her up one.

Biggest. Mistake. Ever. The pattern was all messed up so I ended up making up my own. Then I couldn't get those freakishly big ears to stand up; they kept flopping over. It was such a pain. But I friggin did it.




Then I thought about my bestie Katelyn. Who is mad about Disney. She also had a birthday coming up. And apparently I am a glutton for punishment.

And also the best friend ever.

So I had to make her a hat. I am just picturing her in it on a cold day at Disneyland.




Here is the crochet pattern for the ears:
Stitch Marker needed.
Baby ears: Hook G
Adult ears: Hook I
Scroll down to learn the secret to get the ears to stand up.
Round 1: 8 HDC in magic loop. (8)
Round 2: 2 HDC in each stitch around. (16)
Round 3: *1 HDC in first stitch, 2 HDC in next stitch* repeat around. (24)
Round 4: *1 HDC in first two stitches, 2 HDC in next stitch* repeat around. (32)
Round 5: 1 HDC in each stitch (this gives curve to ear) (32)

I'm not going to include a pattern for a beanie hat - there are millions for free on the internet. Hopefully if you crochet you already have a simple DC pattern saved somewhere. Or you could fancy it up with a shell stitch or something and then do the ears. Do whatever you want.

So how did I get the ears to stand up?

I tried fabric stiffener. Don't try that. It just looks crusty.


The secret is to crochet the hat and ears with two strands of yarn and then use black pipe cleaner. I crocheted the pipe cleaner into the ears on the last row and left it sticking out as I sewed the ears on.


Then I weaved the ends of the pipe cleaner into the hat to give the ears stability. I made sure it wasn't sticking out in a way that it would stab the person (or baby) wearing the hat.


It totally worked. And Katelyn loved it. I am so glad. Her hubby wants a Mickey one now.

So how to make the Minnie Mouse bow? If you I to tie a bow normally, it looks weird. Maybe there is some secret way to do it, but I haven't figured it out.


Seriously. It's weird.

So I manufacture one and then attach it to a clip. I bought these clips from Sally's years ago. Since it's a pack of 100, I still have a few left.




Some people sew the middle of the bows to give it that scrunched look. I found out that I am not a fan of sewing. So I use hot glue.

First I cut a piece of ribbon and then glue the ends together so it makes a circle. 


This is the loopy-bow part.


 Then I pinch the middle together.



I squish it and glue the middle together on both sides and on the inside. Then I cut another piece of ribbon for the end piece, as if you actually tied a bow.


I fold it in half and cut it so that the ends look nice.


You can take a lighter and just slightly melt the end pieces so that they don't fray.

I squish it and glue it in the middle, the same as the first piece, then I glue the two pieces together.





I did the same for the top ribbon part and the bottom ribbon end piece. Then I glued them together.


Then I covered it up with a piece of smaller black ribbon.


And covered up the top part of the clip with the black ribbon (the 3/8" ribbon works best).


And annoyed my J by making him model it. Oh he is so handsome when he pretends he is angry.

Overall I'm pretty happy with my little project.

1 comment: