Sunday, April 4, 2010

My Eyeballs, Part Two

So I decided to go with Schwartz and have the ICL procedure done. Before they implant the lens in your eye, they have to do an iridotomy. Basically, they have to poke holes in the iris (the colored part of the eye).

That made me a little nervous. Poking holes in my eyes? But it's not a new procedure that was invented just for the ICL; you have to get it done for glaucoma treatment as well. It's necessary for the ICL because when the lens is implanted, it messes with the balance of fluid flow in your eyes.

I made my appointment for my iridotomy the following Monday. For the implants, my left eye was going to be done Wednesday, and my right eye the Wednesday after that.

The iridotomy required my pupils to be constricted, which is the opposite of dilation. The woman put eye drops in my eyes and told me if I developed a headache to let her know and she would give me some painkillers.

Eye drops give me a headache? I scoffed. Yeah right.

It gave me such a migraine I was trying very hard not to die. I had to sit in a chair under really bright lights waiting for my eyes to constrict enough so that holes could then be shot through them.

The woman was so nice; she gave me painkillers, got me crackers, got me water.

Although it didn't do much good, because the migraine was so intense that it caused me to vomit.

After that, I had to sit and have the holes poked in my irises. Then I had to wait an HOUR so that they could test the pressure in my eyes. I slumped onto Joseph in the waiting room and tried to lose consciousness.

One of the worst experiences of my life.

The contact implantation went much better. My eye was foggy for the first day, and the next day I was so groggy that I slept during most of it (did do a half day at work but I was exhausted). By Friday everything was good. I am still taking eye drops and I have one last follow up appointment, but I have been getting compliments since I've ditched my glasses (if you don't count my nephew, who told me I look weird).

3 comments:

  1. Hey post a picture of your new eyeglass free self. Which one told you you look weird?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh! Sounds horrible but exciting to no longer need glasses or contacts! Mark said that the Lasik was terrifying, so I can only imagine how bad this could have been for you. Seriously you vomited and you have to go back and do the same thing again next week? I'm so sorry but I'm also jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YIKES!! That sounds so painful! =(

    ReplyDelete