Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Kitchen Remodel

This summer I decided I was sick and tired of our kitchen. I have a friend who stained her cabinets and then replaced her countertop, and I thought we could do that. But my cabinets are pretty crappy, so I thought we would paint instead of stain.

I brought it up to a friend at work, Shawn Ryan, after deciding we would paint the cabinets, and asked him if he thought brown or white would be better. He asked me why we just weren't replacing everything? I told him that we didn't want to spend that much money. I want our house to be nice, but it's not our forever home, so I didn't want to shell out monstrous amounts of money. He told me it only cost him $2500 to do his kitchen because he did it through a discount company.

I talked to J, and we decided that sounded like a pretty good idea. Brand new kitchen, here I come!

We made plans to measure our kitchen and go to the company to get a quote. A couple days later my friend said, "Don't be mad at me." It turned out he went home and looked at his paperwork and the $2500 was the downpayment. It was over $5000 to redo his kitchen.

I wasn't very happy with him. I got some quotes, thought about it, and decided it was too much money. But it took awhile to go back to the original painting idea.

My cabinets are pretty crappy.

To illustrate. We have had a drawer that has been broken since we've owned the house. It was one of those things that I planned to get to eventually, but it hadn't really bugged me yet. The face was still hanging on, so it wasn't obviously broken if you didn't open the drawer. So we just didn't use it.

Well, in September, right before the cabinets were set to be painted, I fixed it.

You can tell in this picture how it broke. Someone had screwed it to those two broken pieces.


So I cut a piece of wood.


And I fixed the drawer.


We got a quote from Stephen Hood (I totally recommend him for any painting projects) and just needed to decide on a color.

If you are addicted to Pinterest, you know that light turquoise and greens are in. We painted some samples and fretted a bit. I have friends with brown painted cabinets and they look like poop. I was worried that white would be too white. So I thought a splash of color would be good. But what if I didn't like it???


These are some pretty good "before" shots of the kitchen.




This is how many color samples we bought. It was a serious decision.


I decided I was going to take a risk. Which is pretty uncharacteristic of me. But I love-love-loved this color. J told me he would support me. With a very doubtful look on his face.


If you'll notice, we got crown molding installed. Stephen recommended it. The guy he referred us to wanted $200. I told J I could find it for cheaper; it was going to be six cuts. I was not paying $200 for that.

Which is ironic, because when Stephen quoted us the price it would be to paint the cabinets, I felt like he was low-balling it because he's my nephew's dad. So I decided to pay him more. Because I knew how much work it was going to be to paint those cabinets. There are some things this DIYer is willing to pay someone else to do.

And he did a lot of work. A LOT of work. And he did an AWESOME job.

Cleaning, sanding, removing all of the cabinets doors and drawers. Painting a coat of primer and two coats of paint. Not to even mention all the prep work - taping and putting up plastic sheets.

I told you, I knew how much I was willing to pay NOT to have to do that. And I also knew how much I was willing to pay for crown molding. I got it for $95. Boo-yah! And the guy did a really good job.


I wasn't sure about the color for a few days. I was worried I had taken too much of a risk. I still loved it, but I was worried people would come into my home and think I was crazy.

I have received enough compliments that my ego has been satisfied.

Then we installed some hardware. And my kitchen got even more awesome. It took awhile to find some we liked. It's hard with oil rubbed bronze because there is orange, dark brown, shiny, muted, and a million other types. Also, we would find a knob we liked but the matching pull was hideous, or vice versa. And hardware is not cheap.

Installing the hardware is the only part of the remodel we did ourselves. I feel no shame.



The other thing I really liked about Stephen was that he asked if we had any closets or anything else wood that we wanted painted at the same time. Um, yes please.


So the hall closet is just as awesome.


I got some nice things to put up on my cabinets.


J and I had to wait to do the countertops. We got a quote for $800 and needed to wait until we had the money.

The sink was freaking $300. I found one on Craigslist for $95 but the podunk never returned any of my calls.

The faucet was $180.

And we needed a new garbage disposal. $64.

Things really escalated quickly.

Let me illustrate to you why we needed new countertops.



Can you see where the previous owner used this as a cutting board?


That's just nasty.


It took until December - if you remember, it was painted in September - but the kitchen remodel is (almost) done!!!


My kitchen looks so good. Just like my handsome husband.



We'll get around to replacing that stove. Eventually. J is so funny because when we first moved in, we bought a new dishwasher (we had been washing dishes by hand for months because the one that was in there was filthy) and then saved up and bought a fridge. When I asked him what sort of stoves he liked and how much we should save, he shrugged and said the stove was fine. Now that our kitchen is awesome, I think it might start bugging him.



Look at this glorious sink. Totally worth $300. I can let that big pan soak and it will be easy to wash.

Overall I am very happy with it. J has been talking about getting a backsplash (which we would probably do ourselves) but I need some time to recover. Between the painting, crown molding, countertops, and calling a million plumbers, I am tired.

Oh, I didn't even tell you the plumbing story.

Hooking up a garbage disposal, faucet, etc to the sink is something J and I could have definitely done. We've actually replaced a faucet before. But I have a shut-off valve in my bathroom that is broken (J went to turn it off and it came off in his hand) and the rest of the shut-off valves are pretty much worthless. I knew they needed to be replaced, and wanted the quarter-turn ball valve instead of the gate valve (why do they even use the gate valves?). Which we probably could have done ourselves.

But there was also a leaking house spigot in our front yard. Leaking pretty bad. It would need to be soldered. My Dad has shown me how to solder but I really don't trust myself. I am clumsy. I would light my own hair on fire. And J could probably do it, but he has agreed that there are some things a professional is just better handling.

I figured with all this work I could probably have someone come out, do it all, and give me a discount. So I started calling plumbers.

I found a couple people on Craigslist. One guy quoted me $230. For everything. When I tried to ask him if he was licensed/bonded/insured, he said, "I have 15 years of experience, you can either believe me or not."

We didn't go with that guy.

Another company (who was licensed/bonded/insured) wanted to come out and look at everything for a quote. I may have mentioned one of the perks of J working from home - that wasn't a problem.

I was at work and J texted me how much they wanted. I checked the text and choked. Nicole asked me what I was choking for. I explained to her how I was obtaining quotes for plumbing work. She said, "Oh yeah, that will probably be $600."

I said, "It was seven - " Nicole was noddling, thinking I was going to end with the word "hundred" but she choked too when I finished with "thousand."

No, I did not mis-type that, they wanted SEVEN THOUSAND dollars. When I asked J how they justified that, he said they itemized it. It was $300 to install the faucet, $500 to install the garbage disposal, $500 to install the sink (WHICH IS JUST DROPPING IT IN AND CAULKING IT - $500 FOR THAT???). I asked him if he laughed in the guy's face. He did not. I would have.

I ended up finding a licensed/bonded/insured guy who did it all for $380.

It's a relief that it's done. I'm ready to take a break and enjoy it. J has been really busy - he landed two really big jobs. I am very happy for him. And we are definitely putting the money to good use.

It's still going to be a small Christmas. I told J he can consider the new kitchen my Christmas. He protested, telling me I don't even use the kitchen. Yes I do. The cereal is in there.

3 comments:

  1. Everything looks SO lovely. I was choking on the $600 and could have taken a HEART ATTACK over the $7,000. I think they were trying to take you--so uncool. May karma bite them in the butt. Lili's dad is a plumber. I am thinking about calling him if I need something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks amazing! Even though I saw pictures, I have been eagerly awaiting this blog post. I love how you were going on about "why do they even use the gate valves?" And I was all, "seriously?!" While simultaneously thinking to myself, "what is a gate valve or that other quarter whatever valve?" You are seriously so smart. You never cease to amaze me with your awesomeness...That is 100% sincere too. It really looks great. Stephen was right to go with the crown molding. It really adds so much. I definitely want crown molding details all over the place in my future abode.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I LOVE how Lilly always manages to find her way into all of your blogs! HAHA! What is she even doing? Lilly: Oh, you have the camera out? I think I really need to stretch right now...

    ReplyDelete